The Workmen’s Circle is a progressive nonprofit Jewish social justice organization that engages in strategic social justice activism through campaigns, education, and coalition work. Our mission powers progressive Jewish identity through Jewish cultural engagement, Yiddish language learning, multigenerational education, and social justice. All social justice activism at the Workmen’s Circle is presented through a Jewish lens highlighting traditions, values, and text.
We are seeking a Director of Social Justice to join our Senior Management Team and oversee our growing Social Justice Department. The successful candidate will work closely with the Executive Director, staff, and membership to actively build our activist base and engage in meaningful campaigns connected to immigrant rights, worker rights, and economic justice.
- Working with the Executive Director, senior staff members, lay leaders, and Board develops overall vision and plans for advocacy campaigns centered around immigrant rights, economic justice, and other progressive issues impacting workers.
- Supervise Social Justice Department staff and interns.
- Coordinate with the Development & Communications team to implement strategic social justice campaign initiatives.
- Draft content (talking points, blogs, op-eds, etc.) related to campaigns and key social justice issues.
- Create and grow a network of members, key leaders and advocates to respond to critical advocacy actions.
- Create and engage in meaningful coalition work, cultivating new and existing partner organizations both inside and outside the Jewish social justice landscape.
- Responsible for campaign organizing work, including driving volunteer/advocate recruitment, public affairs, and mobilization efforts across the NY metropolitan and Long Island areas that can be replicated across the country and feed into the broader strategic goals the organization.
- Analyze and, as needed, rapidly respond to governmental policies and trends.
- Represent the Workmen’s Circle with external partners and the public.
- Build strategic organizing partnerships and alliances with organizations and leaders across the field.
- Propose and manage the social justice department’s budget. An annual budget narrative will be required.
- Fundraising duties as assigned and other responsibilities and tasks as needed.
- Resource teen and college Youth Stand Up for Justice clubs and programs.
- Contributing to the overall leadership of the organization as a member of the senior staff team.
- Prepare and implement needs assessments, annual goals, and long-range plans to ensure the impact and quality of the social justice campaigns and programs.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 5-10 years of professional experience working as a senior member of a social justice or labor or community-based organization, lead organizer at state and/or national level, or a mix of electoral, legislative, and movement organizing experience.
- Commitment to progressive social and economic justice values.
- Ability to identify opportunities and implement innovative tactics in social justice campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects, develop work plans, and meet target goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and develop staff.
- Collaborative work style and experience working a team environment.
- Experience working at a nonprofit organization and/or with unions, labor organizations and coalitions, political activities and campaigns.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends as needed.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
PERSONAL QUALITIES/OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Extensive familiarity with the national social justice landscape, familiarity with Jewish social justice organizations and activists a plus.
- Extensive familiarity the New York City and New York State government a plus.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced culture of high output, open communication, low ego, and no drama.
Salary Range: $95 – $110,000.
Our organization offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package as well as excellent medical, dental and retirement plans. We value diversity, equity and inclusion, and welcome applications of diverse backgrounds.
SUBMIT COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO HR@CIRCLE.ORG